Minsk City Tour
Price includes: Transportation (car with a driver),
||Price for the excursion:
||1-2 pax - 85 EUR (basic
3-7 pax - 110 EUR (minibus)
Minsk isn't the most advanced, wealthy or famous city but it's safer
than Warsaw, cheaper than Kiev, less crowded than Moscow and cleaner
than most European capitals. Moreover it has its own spirit and interesting
Almost completely rebuilt after destructive WWII, nowadays it has wide
streets, large parks, beautiful architecture nice bars and restaurants.
Minsk offers almost everything you need from a modern city, whether
you came on business or enjoy weekend.
The city of Minsk is located in the middle of Belarus and is the Capital
of the Republic of Belarus. For the first time Minsk was mentioned in
1067 (referred to as Mensk, Menesk in chronicles).
Nowadays it has a resident population of 1'828 thousand (as of 14.10.2009).
It occupies an area of 255.8 km2. Administratively, it is subdivided
into 9 urban districts.
During city tour you will have an opportunity to get acquainted with
the most famous places of interest in Minsk. Excursion takes 2.5-3 hours
(car and walking). Sights: Victory Square, Independence Square, St.
Helen & St. Simon Catholic Church, Troitskoye Predmestiye (Trinity
Suburb), Upper town, Railway station, Independence Av, Pobediteley Av,
Îne of the main monuments dedicated to the Great Patriotic War (1941-1945).
In the center of the square there is an obelisk erected in the honor
of the victory in the Great Patriotic War. The obelisk has prism shape
and is 40 m high with the Victory order on the top. The monument was
opened in 1954. There is an eternal fire near the pedestal of the obelisk
Island of tears
The monument is located in the area of the old town (Troitskoe predmestie).
Island of tears was opened on the 3d of August 1996 “To the sons of
Belarus who died beyond the bounds of the country in the Afganistan
War”. The monument is made in shape of temple, there are 4 altars inside
of the monument with the names of 771 soldiers who died in Afganistan.
Island of tears is a very picturesque place in Minsk.
The historical part of Minsk that survived after the destroying
Great Patriotic War. It’s one of the most beautiful parts of the city.
Troetskoye Predmestie will give you an idea what the town looked like
in the past. There are a lot of shops, cafes in Troetskoe Predmestie.
It’s a nice place to walk.
Minsk City Hall
It was reconstructed in 2003 on the same place where it stood from 1582
until 1851 when it was destroyed. First city hall of Minsk was built
at the beginning of the 16th century and it was a wooden building. In
1582 the City Hall was built on a new place in stone. The City Hall
was a symbol of the Magdeburg right that the city received in 1499.
The monument is situated in the historical part of the “upper city”
very close to the other sights of Minsk.
Saint Spirit cathedral
It was built in 1633-1642 first as a catholic St.Bernard’s nunnery.
It was built almost on the same place where the Orthodox Church of Saint
Kosmy and Damiana stood until the beginning of the XVII century. During
XVIII-XIX centuries the building was being rebuilt several times. In
1852 St.Bernard’s nunnery was closed and nuns were moved to the Nesvizh
town. In 1860 the cathedral was opened as the orthodox monastery and
in 1870 it became Saint Spirit monastery of the Orthodox Church. Saint
Spirit cathedral has a number of sacred orthodox icons.
It is the main thoroughfare of the city crossing Minsk from the south-west
to the north-east. Only 10 houses survived on the avenue after the Great
Patriotic War. Now it’s the main avenue of Minsk where there are several
squares: Nezavisimosty, Octiabyrskaya, Victory, Yukuba Kolosa, Kalinina,
museums, different trade centers, National library, National Bank, several
universities, Academy of Since, parks, shops, restaurants etc.
Two symmetrical buildings across the street from the railway station
that could be perceived as a gate to the city for the visitors arriving
by train or by bus to Minsk.
One of the most substantial projects in modern Belarus. 25-storied building
in shape of diamond, symbolizing material and spiritual values that
are being kept in the library and are being gathered by humanity during
“Red church” is the Roman-Catholic church of St.Semeon and St.Elena.
It was built at the beginning of the 20th century thanks to the nobleman
Edward Voynilovitch whose donation covered the most part of the construction
work. He initiated the name of St.Semeon and St.Elena to be given to
the new church to memorize the memory of his two children who died in
the young age.
Stella “Minsk – city hero”
The monument was built in 1984 to memorize 40th anniversary of the victory
in the Great Patriotic War. It is one of the Minsk’s symbols.
It is a central square in Minsk. To the right of the Palace of the Republic
you can see the Museum of The Great Patriotic War – the World biggest
exposition of the historical documents, armaments, military units’ colors,
Îne of the biggest squares in Europe (half of the kilometer in length).
Under the square there is the biggest underground shopping mall in Belarus
with numerous cafes, boutiques, bowling and cinema.